Each year, the Baylor University Philosophy Department offers up to twelve (12) $1 – 2,000 scholarships for Philosophy majors (primary, if double majoring), most of which are renewable up to four years. These are merit-based scholarships, though in some cases financial need might be a factor.
W.J. Kilgore Endowed Philosophy Fellowship, given in honor of William Jackson “Cactus Jack” Kilgore, Baylor alumnus (1938) and longtime professor (1917-93) and chair (1959-87) of the Philosophy Department.
Dr. J.E. Jackson Endowed Scholarship in Philosophy, given in honor of J.E. Jackson, friend to the Baylor Philosophy Department.
Doris Scott Endowed Scholarship in Philosophy, given in honor of Doris Jane Jones Scott, who earned her baccalaureate degree from Baylor University in 1949.
To be eligible, students must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major. Further, current Baylor students must be enrolled in at least three (3) PHI credit hours for each semester in which funds are awarded without special permission; incoming Baylor students must be enrolled in at least three (3) PHI credit hours their first semester at Baylor and have minimum of twelve (12) PHI credit hours by the end of their second year at Baylor with a minimum major GPA of 3.0.
For renewable scholarships, renewal is contingent on maintaining eligibility. To renew their scholarships, students must submit a new application.
To apply for a Baylor Philosophy Department scholarship for the next academic year (starting in the Fall), please have ready the following information then fill out the application form on or before the first Friday of the last full month of the Spring semester of this academic year:
- Full name & Baylor student ID
- Baylor email address
- A copy of your most up to date Degree Audit from BearWeb
- Identify whether you are a transfer student
- Please describe your interest in or future plans for philosophy
- Please indicate any additional evidence of academic merit
If financial need might be a relevant consideration please also include:
- A signed and dated statement giving the Philosophy Department permission to verify your financial status with the Baylor University Office of Student Financial Aid (you must have submitted to FAFSA to be considered for financial need)
- Please indicate any additional evidence of financial need
- All scholarship recipients must be enrolled full time (12-credits or more) for each semester in which the scholarship is awarded
- Scholarship recipients cannot be related to members of the selection committee or donors